Managing your hair can be complicated. In some people, it changes with the seasons, becomes too dry or oily, and produces split ends on sporadic occasions.
While conditioner is good, more people have begun to try natural remedies to treat their hair. One of these is argan oil, an essential oil that’s produced from the argan, a tree commonly found throughout Morocco.
Find the Right Essential Oil For Your Hair and Skin
Argan oil has lots of benefits to both hair and skin, with numerous beauty products being sold today that incorporate the oil into their ingredients or retail it as a single product.
What is the Best Argan Oil Hair Products in 2020?
Although argan oil products may sometimes appear to be the same, there are subtle differences at times. The most obvious is usually USDA status. In any case, here’s a comparison table for a quick breakdown on the similarities and contrasts of oils to be reviewed:
|USDA Organic||Applied With||Antioxidants|
|No (Claims Organic)||Dropper||Yes|
1. Moroccanoil – Best Argan Oil Hair Products (Editor’s Choice)
Sold in a jungle green-labeled bottle, Moroccanoil makes several bottles of argan-based oils that are sold in lots of different sizes (and shapes).
This particular version is found in a .85 and 3.4-ounce glass container. A dropper is included inside, so you can better judge the amount of oil you’ll need.
Apply it to split ends or simply add a little directly to your scalp to help it stay lubricated without becoming dry too quickly.
Not Heavy on the Hair
And even with it being an oil, the level of grease is tolerable; it won’t make you feel as if you poured cooking spray on your head.
Everything in Moderation
Just don’t go too crazy with it when you’re applying. For people with a naturally oily scalp/hair, things could look unappealing if you’re using too much. Try to use in moderation.
That way, the oil will not only last longer but perform much better. Additionally, shine might not be what you’re expecting. You may not even notice it unless you stand close to a mirror in a well-lit room.
- After application, the product doesn’t weigh down your hair; lightweight
- Moisturizes the scalp without making the hair and skin feel oily
- When using, one pump should be enough to cover an entire head of hair; lasts a long time
- Split ends are especially smoothened with the product
- If too much is used, the potential for the hair to appear slightly greasy increases, especially in people with natural oily skin
- Although very refreshing, it doesn’t make hair shine at all
2. PURA D’OR – Pure, Natural, Organic Argan Oil (People’s Choice)
Pura D’or Oil comes in a small four-ounce glass bottle with a pump. There isn’t a dropper available but pressing down on the top is easy enough to control how much you need for your head.
It’s USDA Organic also, so be assured that all contents are completely natural and free of any synthetic ingredients.
Quick Moisturizing Action
Some argan oils have a reputation for being unpleasant in scent. Others are downright odious. This definitely can have an effect on how much you’ll end up using the product, if at all. But there’s nothing to fear with Pura D’or.
Using the Pump
Just get ready to deal with it sticking. This means it may take a little longer to get it absorbed than anticipated. And do take care with the pump as well. If you press down too hard, it might break.
It’s made from a cheap plastic that goes in direct contrast to the glass bottle itself. People with sensitive skin have to take extra precautions when choosing an argan oil. If this applies to you, other products would probably suit you better since this tends to exacerbate breakouts.
- The Argan oil contains no scent at all
- It absorbs into the scalp and hair quickly
- Can double as a great face and skin moisturizer
- The consistency is slightly sticky and could be off-putting to some users
- The pump breaks easily and must be handled carefully when using
- Not suitable for people with very sensitive skin (may lead to pimples)
3. Aria Starr – Argan Oil for Hair and Skin (Best Price)
Aria Starr’s oil is in a one-ounce container, having no variations on size available. There is a dropper, however.
It’s unlikely you’ll need to buy multiple bottles with this size with normal use.
The glass is pretty dark so the oil itself will stay fresh long after you’ve purchased it.
This is the argan product you want if your skin is oily. It helps keep things dry for a lot longer than a conventional conditioner, and you’ll also appreciate the way it tends to decrease the size of pores.
For acne sufferers, breakouts will actually clear up with Area Starr. Don’t be afraid to work it into areas of your hair that have seen bad reactions to other argan oils.
Soften up Your Hair
In this regard, most new users of argan oil may encounter slight itching, but the problem shouldn’t develop into anything severe.
Anyhow, Aria Starr is well served for people who want an oil that produces a shiny but soft hair texture that will remain smooth all day long.
- Helps to not only manage hair but dry up oily skin
- Can reduce cystic acne
- Keeps a nice balance between moisture and dryness
- May cause irritation, especially for individuals using argan oil for the first time
- Some users may experience shedding in their hair
- Using too much can lead to excessive oily hair
4. Kate Blanc – Healthy and Shiny Hair
Resembling a medicine bottle, Kate Blanc’s Argan Oil can be purchased in either a two or four-ounce container.
It’s surprisingly thick, so while you probably won’t want to drop it on the floor, it should hold up well on your cabinet without getting damaged.
You won’t need much for your hair regardless, so just one could be enough to last for several months or even longer.
No Drag When Brushing
Individuals with curly or thick hair are in for a treat. If your hair has this characteristic, you’ll notice that it assists in loosening everything so that it’s easier to brush quicker. Your curls will look great and shine brightly.
Important Buying Consideration
Most organic products specify somewhere on the labeling whether they are or not. Kate Blanc does this also but it has some aspects that makes this questionable. Some consumers have noted that the oil shows signs of being deodorized.
So if you’re not picky about the circumstantial features of how it’s processed, use Kate Blanc to rejuvenate your hair to its highest potential.
- The bottle is made from glass, a great way for preserving freshness in the argan oil
- Keeps in the moisture without looking messy
- Excellent for people with thick or curly hair
- The oil is arguably not organic and shows signs of being deodorized/processed
- Some bottles may be shipped without a dropper on the inside
- Slight smell from the oil may take time to get accustomed it
5. Virgin USDA – Organic Moroccan Argan Oil for Hair & Skin
Virgin Argan Oil by VoilaVe continues by offering USDA Organic oil that can be used as either a hair or skin care product. The bottle is a lot larger than the others shown so far, totaling 8.5 ounces.
Use this oil when you want something that’s high quality and will get you through the year without needing a replacement.
Negate Hair Loss
Not all argan oils will give you the same results. Some help with skin more while others are good for a little bit of everything. And those made from poor standards might have the opposite effects of what they proclaim to do.
Some have even used it as a hair loss prevention, working it into their head to build up fatty acids and vitamins, some of the qualities that assist in refueling hair growth.
When and Where to Use
Places with high humidity might be the worst environments for this argan oil. But if that’s irrelevant to you, definitely give VoilaVe a try. Whether your hair is wet or dry, it’ll keep it looking fresh and clean.
- Sold in an amber colored bottle with a pump to increase longevity and quality of oil
- Leaves the hair glowing and bouncy
- Can be applied to hair while it’s wet or dry
- People with acne may develop pimples in the areas where the product is used
- Oily consistency
- The scent is different from other pure argan oils
6. Eve Hansen – Natural Moroccan Oil for Skin and Hair Treatment
Available in a 1-ounce container, the Eve Hansen Moroccan Oil is small enough for you to take in a purse. It gives off a clean look once rubbed in the hair, making your natural hair color bolder and smooth to the touch.
This is acceptable for using when you’re styling your hair with electronics. In other words, put it on when you’re in the middle of your flat iron.
It won’t burn, so you’ll not only save time from not having to go for other hair care products once you’re done with flat ironing but help the oil penetrate into your hair much better than you could with only your hands. And your pores could also shrink, especially around the edges that are close to your hairline.
Lowdown on Sensitivity
As a result, new users with sensitivity could develop itchiness in areas close to the hairline. But this is an exception. And even then, you could always mix it up with your favorite conditioner to negate these effects, so try out Even Hansen to stir up your own beauty concoction.
- Tones up the scalp and face
- May reduce the size of pores
- For hair, works well when used with a flat iron, making it come out very smooth
- Can be mixed with other hair/body products in needed
- Very greasy
- Heavy oil feel may increase skin irritation in those not accustomed
7. Teddie Organics – For Hair and Even For Sensitive Skin
Use on Beards, Hairdos, and Skin
Teddie Organics ends the list with an argan oil that’s dark colored, bold, and fragrance-free. It’s well served for both women and men.
You can use on your beard (if you’re a guy) to help uneven patches fill in quickly, or to prevent itchiness around your face when growing a five o’clock shadow.
For hair, it brightens and alleviates pimples throughout, so place it directly in portions of your scalp for getting rid of breakouts that may occur with other products.
Scents and Smells
And the smell might be off-putting for some people. It’s not strong but stays on the skin and hair until you wash again.
- Smell is kept to a minimum
- For men with beards, works as a great moisturizer/conditioner for beards
- One of the best argan oils for people with pimples/acne
- Oil tends to leak from the dropper, require care when applying to avoid spillage
- The smell, while barely noticable, could be unpleasant and odd for some
- Particles are sometimes present in the oil
Best Argan Oil Hair Products – Buyer’s Guide
Finding the right argan oil for you is pretty straightforward but there are factors that will help guarantee a good purchase, one you won’t have buyer’s remorse over.
Try to remember these tips when you’re searching:
When you’re looking at argan oils, you’ll notice that many of them are sold in thick dark glasses. This is not by mistake.
If you see organic argan oil being sold in a plastic container, you’ll probably need to use it quicker than the alternative. In short, dark glass bottle are the way to go, especially if you plan on using the oil long after the day it’s bought.
Organic or not Organic?
Nowadays, there are many companies that don’t refine their products or add chemicals to them are eligible to be certified as USDA Organic.
If you see the stamp on a bottle of argan oil, it usually means that no additives or processing was done in between its creation and bottling.
The best will be completely unrefined and never go through a dilution process. If so, oil will appear golden in color. If the color is very dark or too light, either the batch that was purchased may contain other ingredients or was refined.
Grease and Oil
As with most oils, you must experiment to see how it reacts to your body. Some products have a placebo effect on select individuals while others will almost immediately develop irritating breakouts over the area where it’s applied. Argan oil can do the same.
If you’ve never tried it before, place a very small portion on a section of your hair. Rub it into your scalp thoroughly and massage any split ends. After a few hours, add more if you don’t notice any annoying sensations on your skin (around the areas you applied the oil).
Furthermore, people with oily hair should always go for the product that doesn’t leave a coat of thick film around the areas being treated.
To finalize, two of the best argan oils reviewed were Moroccanoil and D’or, chosen for their conditioning and ability to hydrate without leaving the hair looking too greasy.
Their smells aren’t unpleasant and can be managed quickly by any hairstyle. No matter if your hair is curly, frizzy, or straight, the results will be satisfactory.
Remember, you’ll know the right oil by the way it was created and the lack of changes made before being retailed. You won’t use every hair moisturizer you come across, so treat argan oil with the same stipulations given to any beauty product!